Summer is officially here and we're hoping for more hot days ahead! A lovely Cold Brew Coffee is a refreshing way to stay caffeinated in the heat and it's easy to make at home so here's our wee guide to the perfect summer home brew...
- Combine 1 cup of coarsely ground Gordon St coffee beans with 4 cups of cold water in a large jar or pitcher.
- Stir the mixture to ensure that the coffee is evenly saturated.
- Cover the jar or pitcher and let it sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- After the desired steep time, use a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter to strain the coffee concentrate into a clean jar or pitcher.
- Dilute the concentrate with cold water to your desired strength.
- Serve over ice, or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Additional extras: you can also add spices like cinnamon or cardamom to the coffee grounds before steeping, or sweeten your cold brew with sugar, syrups, honey, or your preferred sweetener.
Experiment with the ratio of coffee to water and steeping time to find the flavour profile that you prefer.
You can enjoy your homemade Gordon St cold brew coffee black, but if iced lattes are more your thing, dilute the concentrate with milk instead of water (step 5). You can also use the concentrate to make coffee cocktails or as a base for coffee ice cream... what's not to like.